Saturday, July 06, 2013

The Rescue Mission Amazon Reviews

Buy it now at http://tiny.cc/amazonrescuemission

1. 'The Rescue Mission is an incredible piece of narrative, thoroughly original, theologically stimulating and worship inducing. It has challenged me, informed me and inspired me - conveying in a powerful way God's great and global plan of redemption and restoration.


It is a book that I would recommend to those who ask me 'why do you believe what you believe, who is Jesus, what is this faith of Christianity?' - the book faithfully communicates the heart of God that we see throughout the Bible - a cry for love, justice, compassion, peace, equality, and deep, intimate relationship with his creation.

It's a book that I would also recommend to those knowing Jesus, having a real and living relationship with him - giving them a fresh, powerful insight into what God has done for them, where God is leading them, and where they stand in God's rescue mission at this time.'


2. 'A friend lent me this book. I found it absolutely thrilling to read. The literary devises used draw the reader in to the love motivation behind the biblical revelation of God's rescue plan in an emotional and reverent way. I've bought my own copy now because I know I will want to re-read it.'


3. 'I've been reading Pete Atkinson's book at a conference on humanitarianism this week. It's fitting in a way. As we've been hearing about refugee camps and emergency evacuation operations in the day, I've been retreating to my room at night to read an even more gripping narrative. There is fear and despair in this story too, but there is also the hope that only a daring rescue mission can birth. Pete has a gripping writing style that is pacy, evocative and faithful to the original Bible texts (cited throughout). It's a great overview of the key themes of the Bible for new believers wanting to pull out the threads of grace that connect the Garden to Golgotha and beyond, and it's a breath of fresh air for the more mature Christian looking to be blown-away again by the saving power of God.


It is a book that I would recommend to those who ask me 'why do you believe what you believe, who is Jesus, what is this faith of Christianity?' - the book faithfully communicates the heart of God that we see throughout the Bible - a cry for love, justice, compassion, peace, equality, and deep, intimate relationship with his creation.

It's a book that I would also recommend to those knowing Jesus, having a real and living relationship with him - giving them a fresh, powerful insight into what God has done for them, where God is leading them, and where they stand in God's rescue mission at this time.'


I'm thankful to Pete for reminding me of one key truth that is a motivation for my faith, and I hope to yours too. The story of the Bible, and the power that it is endowed with, is a much better story than any of the fleeting power struggles that occupy our attention in this world. It is a story that must be told, so that its power might go forth into the world. That is the task of the church, and the rescue mission that we are all called to contribute to. I want to thank Pete for reminding us all of how an imaginative and faithful re-telling of this good news story can equip us all to be more compelling people as we share our faith and lead grace-filled lives that demand explanation to the world around us.'


4. 'I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I couldn't put it down and read most of it in a day! It carefully takes the reader through the events in the bible in a comprehensive yet gripping way. This book is unlike any other Christian book I have read and would highly recommend it!'

5. 'This is an imaginatively original and brilliantly executed piece of storytelling which presents the Bible as you've never read it before. If you've already read the Bible cover-to-cover, this novel will challenge and inform you - If you've never imagined yourself reading the Bible, this could be the start of a beautiful discovery. Ambitious, captivating, and definitely a worthwhile read.'

6. 'This book is a lively, fun and thrilling paperback, which I really struggled to put down at times. It provides a fantastic overview of the whole of the Bible and puts lots of elements into context. I would highly recommend this book to anyone, whether you have a faith or not, as a way of really understanding what the Christian message is all about. Great work Pete Atkinson!'

7. 'I got this book a few months back and it still impresses me when I return to it now. To read it brings a fresh set of eyes to the biblical narrative, and illuminates much about God, ourselves and the story we each live in. I thoroughly recommend it to all, particularly those who want a fresh take on the familiar.'

8. 'A remarkable attempt to present a coherent overview of the biblical 'story'. There is so much delightful juxtaposition of biblical thoughts and ideas, and cross-references to biblical themes. The various scenes and incidents are imaginatively re-told, and reflect a `present-day' life and liveliness - and there is inter-linking continuity.'

9. 'The Rescue Mission beautifully illustrates the romantic God who pursues his people passionately. The literary style, combining poetry and prose, not only shows Pete Atkinson's craft, but also provides a theological education and genre consistent to scripture.'

10. 'What is truly unique about this book is that it not only condenses the message and history of Christianity into just 200 pages - an outstanding feat in itself - but it reveals many little known fascinating threads running throughout the Bible, which Pete Atkinson ties together in an original, distinctive and thoroughly enjoyable style.'

11. 'The Rescue Mission was so good I read it in 1 sitting and then ordered 6 more copies for my friends! Particular highlights were: descriptions of God as the community of Elohim - a group with real emotions. And the extra details on strands of God's character. I liked the bit about Egypt and the plagues best. Read it!

12. 'The Rescue Mission takes the complex and diverse narratives of the Bible and condenses them into a format which is stylish and easy to read. Readers are taken by the hand and guided through the ecstatic highs, crushing lows and unforeseen surprises that make the `greatest story ever told' accessible to a modern audience. The short punchy chapters make for great bed-time reading ... and it's desperately moreish!'

13. 'Written from the perspective that the Bible is a book about God's rescue mission, this book takes stories from the Bible and writes them in a dramatic style that helps you see things you haven't seen before. It is engaging, and the stories would work well for adapting into a drama or narrative sermon. Definitely recommend.'

http://tiny.cc/amazonrescuemission

No comments: