Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Or Are We Dancers?

The Killers are back and have successfully managed to infect our minds with a brilliantly catchy phrase once again. Having previously graced us with the seemingly profound but utterly meaningless (or is it?!) 'I've got soul but I'm not a soldier', we're now left pondering the one question eternally aching our hearts: 'Are we human? Or are we dancers?'
It's as deep as a puddle in a summer drought. And yet it's genius.


Another track off the great new album left me scratching my brow in equal measure, searching for meaning where there probably isn't any. Or is there? If anyone can make head or tail of the following expertly crafted poetry, I'd appreciate your revelation:

Change came in disguise of revelation, set his soul on fire.
She said she always knew he'd come around.
And the decades disappear
Like sinking ships but we persevere.
God gives us hope but we still fear, we don't know.
Your mind is poisoned.
Castles in the sky, sit stranded, vandalized.
The drawbridge is closing.
Saw Cinderella in a party dress, she was looking for a nightgown.
I saw the devil wrapping up his hands, he's getting ready for the showdown.
I saw the ending where they turned the page, I threw my money and I ran away.
Sent to the valley of the great divide
Out where the dreams all hide.

1 comment:

Annie Holmes said...

Hmm. If it does make sense really, I'd recommend reading it every so often for a week or two, which is what I did with a poem I really liked this Christmas... If you feel the Killers are worth that much effort?