Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cutting Edge

On July 6th Delirious?, one of my favourite bands, announced that the end is in sight. After 17 years, 2009 will mark the final chapter in a remarkable story. The rock band, who once peaked at 16 in the UK singles chart, will be best remembered for radically changing the thing they were most passionate about:

For those of us who no longer see churches as boring and lifeless places, we owe Delirious? a lot.



To commemorate I've trawled over some early Delirious? lyrics to find out what really challenged, shook and fired up the 90s generation. As I put together this compilation I discovered that honesty lit the touchpaper; brutal no holds barred honesty; vulnerable willingness to say yes through the questions; to not settle for anything less than the real thing.

Can I be free from the chains of my religion?
They wrap around my head and they blind my eye of faith
And I feel dangerous cos I hunger for the truth
The tightropes swinging high
No turning back
Teach me to fly
All I want is You.

We have wearied you Lord with our words
Our promises we've broken
Oh Lord forgive me
You are breaking the pride in our hearts
Lead me into your arms
I will be safe in the shadow of your wing.

We didn't count on suffering
We didn't count on pain
But if the blessings in the valley
Then in the river I will wait.

I'm not ashamed any more
Cos I've felt the oil pour down over me
And there's a fire that's burning stronger now.

Is there hope enough these days to forgive someone like me?

No comments: