Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I'm Nearly There

I'm nearly there. In three weeks time I will have finished my final exams. At around the same time I reckon my 3 year slog through reading the Old Testament will also reach its conclusion.

While exam revision will continue to be stressful until the words, 'put your pens down' are uttered for the final time, the Bible narrative already seems to have turned a corner from turmoil to refreshing positive forward-thinking.

Around 500 years before Jesus, the prophet Zechariah presented these words of optimistic future hope:

'O Lord Almighty, for seventy years now you have been angry with Jerusalem... How long will it be until you again show mercy to them?' (1:12)

'My love for Jerusalem and Mount Zion is passionate and strong.' (1:14)
'I have returned to show mercy to Jerusalem. My temple will be rebuilt.' (1:16)
'I will live among you.' (2:11)
'You are symbols of the good things to come. Soon I am going to bring my servant, the Branch.' (3:8)
'I will remove the sins of this land in a single day.' (3:9)
'Shout in triumph, O people of Jerusalem! Look, your king is coming for you. He is righteous and victorious, yet he is humble, riding on a donkey. (9:9)
'Then I will pour out a spirit of grace and prayer ... They will look on me whom they have pierced and mourn for him as for an only son.' (12:10)

No comments: