Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mandela on Being Human

At long last I've finished the autobiography of Nelson Mandela. It hardly seems right to try and encapsulate how the book challenged me, cos I cannot claim to understand his experiences. Instead allow me to directly quote from the great man himself. As we read let us remember Mandela's remarkable worldview was formed through, and as a result of, his 'story of hardship, resillience and ultimate triumph.'

'The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. I never lost hope that this great transformation would occur ... I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there was mercy and generocity. No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally than its opposite. Even in the grimmest times in prison, I would see a glimmer of humanity in one of the guards ... Man's goodness is a flame that can be hidden but never extinguished.'

1 comment:

Joel Gill said...

great quote... love it!