Monday, May 14, 2007

Pressing Fast Forward Bible Style

I'm currently slowly trudging through the final 3rd of the Old Testament and I've got to be honest, I'm desperate to just fastforward to the Jesus bits. At the moment the situation is pretty bleak and repetitive - generation after generation just seem to be making the same mistakes. We need a breath of fresh air to come from somewhere.

And then to my complete surprise I read the following story involving a guy called Elisha:
'One day a man from Baal-shalishah brought the man of God a sack of fresh grain and twenty loaves of barley bread made from the first grain of his harvest. Elisha said, 'Give it to the people so they can eat.'
'What?' his servant exclaimed. 'Feed a hundred people with only this?'
But Elisha repeated, Give it to the people so they can eat, for this is what the Lord says: Everyone will eat, and there will even be some left over!' And when they gave it to the people, there was plenty for all and some left over, just as the Lord had promised.'


Sound like anyone familiar? Yep, I was shocked as well. In a strange sort of way I've been given a sneak preview of what's to come, without having to fastforward.

No comments: