Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Thinking About How Much Should We Think?

I've found a book in the Bible that was written specifically with Cambridge students in mind (!)

Let me explain myself: One thing that irritates me in Cambridge is that people think too much! Sometimes I wish that we'd just switch the brain off and just experience stuff. But the book of Proverbs has been challenging this frustration a lot recently, cos it really encourages switching the brain on. It was written by an incredibly intelligent guy called Solomon, the son of David (of Goliath fame). Solomon was incredibly intelligent cos he asked God for wisdom over fame and money, and this impressed God loads.



And check out what Solomon writes about wisdom; 'Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight and understanding. Search for them as you would for lost money or hidden treasure.'

But then on the other hand we need to keep all this in tension with another quote from Proverbs; 'Trust in the LORD with all your hearts; do not depend on your own understanding.'

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I like your style of writing about Biblical texts - you communicate well without using old jargon... Maybe a talent worth exploring?

PM said...

Hi Pete! I saw the pictures of the snow last week. I also made a snowman which lasted for 3 days!