Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Trip to the Seaside


I've finally made it through Kings and Chronicles - which took quite a while! There's one line in there which on face value seems pretty meaningless and one I'd normally skip over, but when I thought about it further it's pretty spectacular.
It simply goes, 'The people of Judah and Israel were as numerous as the sand on the seashore.'
For the full impact you need to scroll back roughly 1000 years when one guy called Abraham heard some big promises. God said to him, 'I will multiply your descendants beyond number, like the stars in the sky and the sand on the seashore.'

And Abraham's descendents became the people of Judah and Israel. There we have it - one big promise kept. Not bad considering that when God first spoke to him, Abraham's wife was unable to have children.
hmm, yeah, I'll leave you to try and get your head round that one!

No comments: