Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A Deeper Look at Sam's Town

As you know I love finding out about the inspirations behind my favourite albums just as much as I love the albums. So I've just been reading about the influences spurring on 'The Killers' in an article on the Guradian's website. Why not give it a read - quite interesting - although I've got to be honest and admit to not having read every word!!

Highlights for me included the leadsinger, Brandon Flowers, describing the new album as a 'spiritual autobiography'. It expresses Brandon's Mormon faith which'comes through in his lyrics sometimes, but not in an overt or preachy way'.

For example, I don't know about you, but I've always been intrigued by the line 'He doesn't look a thing like Jesus' and come up with my own interpretations as to what it means whenever I sing along. And most importantly I guess, the following is a little extract giving Brandon's reason behind the line:

But Flowers is quick to attest to his faith: "I can't ever escape my Mormon roots. Even on the first album, Hot Fuss, it informed songs like All These Things That I've Done. On the single When You Were Young, there's a line I sing, 'He doesn't look a thing like Jesus.' That's about growing up in a religion where Jesus is considered a saviour and also realising people can be saviours, too, whether they're your wife, your best friend or your next-door neighbour. He can come in other human forms.'

No comments: