Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I AM WHAT I AM

About a month ago I was intrigued by an Adidas ad campaign and now it's the turn of Reebok. Whilst the Arctic Monkeys are spreading a 'Whatever people say I am, that’s what I’m not,’ philosophy, Reebok seem to prefer, ‘I AM WHAT I AM.’ To be able to say ‘I am what I am,’ is such a freeing position to be in. It’s saying: I don’t need to be like anyone else – instead I’m free to be myself. It’s saying: I’m aware I don’t get everything right but I’m even prepared to love my quirks.

Even more interestingly though ‘I AM WHAT I AM,’ is the chosen name of the creator of the universe! (Check out the infamous Moses and the burning bush episode at Exodus 3:14.) I’ve been reading about some of the high powered theories about what God means by this phrase and opinion is divided. But for me, it’s one of the many paradoxes of God. So here the very name of God actually says that He’s indefinable – He just is.

To further please you factfans, the original translation of ‘I AM WHAT I AM’ is ‘Yahweh,’ which you might recognise as the name of a U2 track off their most recent album. I’ll leave you today friends with some thoughts from that song.
          
'Take these hands, Teach them what to carry
Take these hands, Don't make a fist
Take this mouth, So quick to criticise
Take this mouth, Give it a kiss.’

No comments: