Monday, May 01, 2006

Cause I Need You To Look Into Mine

Let's have a bit of light relief in amongst all this footballing frustration. It was bank holiday today and my Mum came to visit and we had a look round some of the old colleges and King's Chapel. And then I had afternoon cream teas to celebrate someone's birthday. Nice.
And then I treated myself to the new Snow Patrol album, got home and turned it up loud. After one listen it gets a big thumbs up. I was however slightly intrigued by some similar sounding song titles. The album's called 'Eyes Open', and 3 songs are called 'Hands Open', 'Shut Your Eyes', and 'Open Your Eyes'. Surely, I thought, shut your eyes and open your eyes will contradict themselves, with 1 being positive and the other negative.
But I was wrong and in fact the 2 songs contain some of the stand out lines from an album littered with beautifully penned lyrics. Here are the choruses of those 2 songs:
'Shut your eyes I'll spin the big chair
And you'll feel dizzy light and free
And falling gently on the cushion
You can come and sing to me.'

'Get up get up away from these liars
...Cos they don't see what I see in you
Take my hand, knot your fingers through mine
And we'll walk from this dark room for the last time.
I want so much to open your eyes
Cause I need you to look into mine.'

No comments: