Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Warning - contains overthinking

I'm afraid the need for thinking continues today because I've just had a lecture on the Enlightenment. I guess that period of time can be summed up by 'overthinking.' It was kinda breaking from tradition and all past beliefs and starting from scratch with theories which we have evidence for. This has many lasting effects in our culture today, such as encouraging children to think for themselves and not just accept the old ways of doing things.
It was really interesting to look at the lecture from a point of view of believing in God, cos once the scientists had worked out all the rules for nature there was kinda no room for God anymore. But then humans just become like any other animal - just part of a system. But where do our own personal decisions fit in?
I guess I often have this problem of over thinking everything and sometimes I just have to accept that there are some things that I don't need to know. Even in Maths, we don't know what happens when you divide by zero.
Off to Sainsbury's now to give my brain a rest.

1 comment:

muel said...

I know what happens when you divide by zero, but I'm not going to tell you.